Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Phase one of getting on the road solo completed

Well I passed the hazard perception test well today, so now I only need to focus on the practical driving test. I feel I am reasonably well prepared but by no means 100 percent confident. I will probably fail, but my aim is to go in there relaxed and to use my driving instincts. Who knows, perhaps this time tomorrow I could be on a P2 license and a whole new world will open up. Alternatively, I will fail and have to sit it again in another six weeks or so. But I don't think that will bother me too much. At least then I can get some more practice with a driving instructor (I only really had one lesson) and will know what to expect on the test. As soon as I get my license I will start looking for cars. I have my eyes on either a Toyota Camry CSI or maybe a Toyota Corolla. It won't be one of the European cars which look great but cost a fortune to run. Still, my car must look reasonably cool, but also be cheap on petrol and maintenance costs. The colour will be important, I will not settle for anything that is not either dark blue, black or dark green. So, if all goes well, I should be driving around solo in my very own car by my birthday at the end of March at the latest.

I have been watching and reading some interesting things in the news lately. One of the stories which I just watched on Sky News was about the Greek tennis fans that were arrested at the Australian Open for unruly behaviour. The police officers used capsicum spray to subdue some of them, and they claim a 12 year old girl was also affected by the spray, even though the police officers deny this. I thought the use of capsicum spray on these people was a bit heavy-handed. One of the female officers, who was not directly threatened from what I could see, sprayed it in one guy's face and then ran. It seemed as though they were indulging in their power a bit by using the spray. If they had of called in more police officers, they could have arrested these guys far easier. But then, that can be expensive and a drain on resources. I basically think the use of capsicum spray in this incident was morally borderline. Another interesting story is that of the 16 year old kid who threw a party and somewhere around 500 people turned up and caused a riot on the street. He really is quite a funny kid. I respect his refusal to take of his sunglasses, even though he was being asked, quite sternly by one TV journalist to remove them. She was clearly out of line probably felt quite condescending towards him because of his youth.

No comments: